Friday, September 7, 2012

The Best First Week EVER!!!!

I think that this may have been the best first week I have ever had in my teaching career.  I am totally and completely in love with thirty precious children.  They are so sweet, kind, smart, and very respectful.  I am feeling like one very lucky teacher!

Here are a few things we did this week:


We discussed and charted our goals for the year and did this adorable "craftivity" to go with it.  I love that Kennedy said her goal was to be proactive which is one of our leadership traits.  The one that made me laugh was to find gold at recess and turn it into the office!  And guess what???? The next day two friends did find gold on the playground and turn it in to the office.  Miss Denise said they could keep it.  Lucky boys!

We also wrote about our first day of school.  I eased them into writing before I tortured them the next day with a writing assessment which I will have so much fun grading this weekend!!!
We read the book, Stand up Tall, Molly Lou Melon and made these sunflowers describing why we are special just like Molly Lou.  (Thanks, Amy Lemons!)


Okay, I know I already went on and on about how great my class is but I had no idea they would actually live up to this bulletin board. (Thanks to Teacher Wife for the BB idea!) They are the SWEETEST!!!!!!  Here is what happened today to prove it:  We had a few minutes of free choice at the end of the day (which they desperately needed after all of their hard work) and about six kids were playing dominoes.  They spent quite awhile lining up the whole tub in an elaborate arrangement.  When they were done, they had the obvious problem of who was going to get it knock it down.  BUT, there was no arguing, only unanimous consensus that Elias (who was playing legos at the time) should get to knock it down since it was his birthday!  The group called him over as well as the entire class and we sang Happy Birthday to him before he had the honor of tapping the first domino. I was one proud teacher!

We ended our week by making "The Snack Mix of Champions."  We have been learning about what it means to be a champion all week by talking about the Olympics and singing a super fun song.

2 comments:

  1. Well, just as you say you are lucky to have such a sweet, precious bunch of kiddos in your class, WE are lucky to have YOU for our kiddos 2nd grade teacher! Kaelie tells me everyday how much she loves school & loves you! She said "And Mrs. Weinert said that she is going to be the best that she can be!" LOL, love it! Looking forward to an awesome year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, you are going to make their year awesome! You have a great group of kids and they have a fantastic teacher- it's a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete